Many young adults, as they move into the next stage of their lives in a college/university campus setting which presents new challenges:
- A new environment
- Independent living often in a campus setting
- Financial responsibility
- Stress in dedicating a majority of time to academic pursuits or new careers
All of these things together create new challenges in terms of achieving appropriate health and physical activity (PA) levels. Currently, many colleges and universities are taking it upon themselves to create campus-based health, fitness and wellness programs for their students from personal training and group exercise classes at campus recreation centers to activities hosted throughout the campus. However, there is a need for an established initiative that would connect all of these activities.
Exercise is Medicine® on Campus (EIM-OC) is a program calling upon universities and colleges to engage in the promotion of physical activity as a vital sign of health. EIM-OC encourages faculty, staff and students to work together toward improving the health and well-being of the campus community by:
- Making movement a part of the daily campus culture
- Assessing physical activity at every student health visit
- Providing students the tools necessary to strengthen healthy physical activity habits that can last a lifetime
- Connecting university health care providers with university health fitness specialists to provide a referral system for exercise prescription.
This year EIM-OC launches its Recognition Program, which will allow campuses to be recognized for their participation and engagement in EIM. Schools will have the opportunity to establish themselves as a Gold, Silver, or Bronze level campus, based upon their activities and level of engagement. Register your campus by completing the Leadership Team form below to become an EIM-OC school and receive the Recognition Handbook!
EIM-OC can be activated on any campus, large or small, rural or urban. Let's get moving!
To learn more about the Recognition Program or the EIM on Campus program, please contact the U.S. EIM Representative (located in the footer of the page).
*This program is reserved for university/college campuses (academic institutions). When registering, if you are a professional please provide your credentials/certification in the "Title" field.